About one year from this month, the Department of Ecology's (DOE) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Municipal Stormwater Permit will expire on July 31st, 2024. This will happen as part of the regular 5-year permit cycle. The DOE and permit holders are already hard at work on what the 2024-2029 Permit will look like.
The changes to the permit make a significant impact on the local requirements for stormwater regulations in Washington State. Significant updates to be proposed to the permit will include:
- Address tire wear research findings – Road Runoff
- Update Stormwater Planning & Structural Stormwater Control programs
- Consider retrofit implementation program for Phase II
- Enhance Source Control requirements
- Street sweeping program
- PCBs in building materials